Family alleges medical negligence after Covid patient senior journalist Pradeep Arya’s death, dist collector orders probe

Family alleges medical negligence after Covid patient senior journalist Pradeep Arya’s death, dist collector orders probe

Raipur: After family of deceased Covid-19 patient senior reporter Pradeep Arya has alleged that he died due to medical negligence by the hospital staff of a private Covid hospital, Bilaspur district collector has ordered a probe in this matter.

The family members have alleged that there was no oxygen available in the oxygen cylinder which was being used for the treatment of the deceased.

Explaining about the whole incident Arya’s daughter said “I bought home a small unit of oxygen however; we feared that the cylinder would not last long due to its small capacity. We took him to CIMS hospital where he was put on oxygen for some time however, the level of cylinder was falling. There was no one to listen and we were even trying to arrange a bed for him at private hospital”.

She said that a hospital staff informed her that a bed in available at aaRBee hospital and asked her to shift him there. She said that she took her father to the ambulance applying the portable oxygen which she bought from her home. “He was panting badly and we just hoped that the ambulance would arrive hospital at the earliest so that ‘Papa’ could be saved. Soon after the ambulance arrived at aaRBee hospital, a wheel chair with an oxygen cylinder was bought. I removed my unit and the cylinder bought by the hospital was used. However, my father was still gasping desperately to breathe”, she said.

“When asked the staff informed that the cylinder would start working in 2-4 mins and her father will start getting oxygen. I took papa to the Covid hospital above aaRBee in such a difficult condition with tears flowing down my eyes. We reached the ICU but he was still struggling to breathe. I came down running and wanted to talk to the nurses who had attended the ambulance. But two of those three were busy on mobile phones and the third was looking at me with great disregard", she added.

She said that at the moment she felt that nobody cares about a person’s life at all. “I was shocked when a boy told me that the oxygen cylinder of hospital which was used for his father was already empty. This gimmick was done to make you satisfied. I ran upstairs carrying the oxygen constructor I had brought with me and when arrived at the door I was told that my father is no more”, she said.

Soon after receiving information about the whole incident, Bilaspur district collector Saransh Mittar has ordered a probe against the hospital management.